This is an easy recipe for a night when you have a little more time to cook the lentils and bulgur. The end result was both filling and delicious. It went really well with some ketchup, although next time I think I may try some mushroom gravy. It was earthy and hearty, filling and healthy. Our fellow dinners appreciated the aesthetic appeal. I will definitely make this again!
1 cup lentils
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
1 large onion
10 ounces cremini mushrooms
1 red bell pepper
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. italian seasoning (equal parts dried rosemary, oregano, thyme, and parsley)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 cup quick oats
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1. Bring two cups of water and lentils to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until lentils are soft.
2. Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to boil and add bulgur. Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Finely chop onion and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
5. Add finely chopped mushrooms and sauté for 5 more minutes.
6. Add finely chopped red bell pepper and apple cider vinegar. Cook until vinegar is absorbed (about 3-5 minutes).
7. Mix in spices and dried herbs.
8. Remove from heat and mix in lentils, bulgur wheat, oats, and fresh parsley.
9. Place parchment paper in a bread pan.
10. Add the mixture to the bread pan and pack it down tightly with a spoon.
11. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.
12. Let the loaf sit in the pan and cool for about 20 minutes. This will help it to hold its shape.
13. Garnish with organic ketchup and parsley.