Today was such a beautiful, cool day that I decided to make one of my favorite late summer/early fall dishes, zucchini muffins. I had some beautiful zucchini that I got at the Rosendale Farmers’ Market upstate this weekend. These muffins were very simple and they came out wonderfully.
Yield: 18 muffins
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oil
1 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups fresh zucchini grated
3/4 cup raisins
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grate the zucchini and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir together until well combined.
4. In a smaller bowl, combine the sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla and stir together.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until you cannot see any flour.
6. Fold in the zucchini and raisins.
7. Grease the muffin tins or use cupcake papers.
8. Fill the tins until they are almost full.
9. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.