Are you looking for a fall dish that is vegan and healthy? I really love this pumpkin chili recipe. The pumpkin beer and spices add warm fall flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. The orange peppers make this dish look festive, but they also bring a little sweetness. I really love the kidney beans in this dish, they make it hearty. Finally, the fresh pumpkin cubes really take this dish to the next level. It isn’t everyday you get fresh pumpkin!
I used to be nervous about cooking with fresh pumpkin, but I have found it is actually way easier to cut than squash and faster to bake. The difference between cooking with canned pumpkin and fresh is worth the extra time it takes to cook the pumpkin first. In fact, this time of year I like to keep some freshly baked pumpkin in the fridge. That way I can easily cook with it.
I found a meat chili dish called Drunken Pumpkin Chili on The Scrumptious Pumpkin blog. I “veganfied” it and altered it slightly . The recipe is below.
2 tablespoons of oil
8 large tomatos
4 fresh orange peppers
1/2 small baked pumpkin
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/2 jar of pumpkin beer (I used Weyerbatcher’s Imperial Pumpkin Ale)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 dashes cloves
1 jar of kidney beans
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut a small sugar pumpkin into fourths, remove seeds, and lightly oil.
3. Bake for about 40 minutes or until a fork can easily pierce the flesh.
4. Place a large pot on the stove with about 2 tablespoons of oil, put the heat on medium-high.
5. Mince the onion and add it to the olive oil. Stir every minute for about 15 minutes or until the onion is slightly brown.
6. Chop the tomatoes and add them to the pot. Let the tomatoes cook for about 20 minutes on medium-high stirring occasionally.
7. Chop the orange peppers and pumpkin into bit sized chunks and add that to the mixture. Bring the heat down to medium.
8. Cut the chipotle peppers into small pieces and add it to the chili.
9. Add the remaining ingredients except for the beans, cover and let cook for another 20 minutes on medium heat.
10. Add the beans and let cook for anther 5 minutes on medium heat.
What other fall meat dishes would you like to see made vegan?