Yesterday was such a chilly Sunday, the perfect day for making apple butter in the crock-pot! I got up early and chopped apples for about 45minutes. I added some cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin pie spice, and maple syrup. Everything went into the crock-pot. For the next 10 hours my apartment smelled amazing!
We took an excursion to Trader Joe’s. When came back cold and hungry, our apartment was warm and it smelled wonderful! We ate it with my favorite Whole-Wheat Sourdough Bread from Bread Alone.
I am actually going to make homemade apple butter for Christmas gifts this year! I am realizing now that I will need a lot of apples because 15 cups of apples cooked down to two pints (I put it in mason jars).
I used a variety of apples to add flavor. I also didn’t take off the skin to add flavor. Thanks for the tip Kelsey!
Yield: 2 Mason Jars of Apple Butter
Cook time: Only about 1 hour of work and then 10 hours in the crock-pot.
15 cups of apples
1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 cup of maple syrup
1. Finley chop the apples (I used about 8 large apples) and place in the crock-pot.
2. Add the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cloves, and maple syrup to the crock-pot.
3. Squeeze 2 lemons and add the juice to the crock-pot.
4. Put the crock-pot on low for 10 hours and stir about every two hours.
5. Let the cooked apple cool for about an hour (I put mine by an open window to speed it up).
6. Place the cooked apples in the food processor and pulse until the texture is smooth and free of apple pieces.
Enjoy on toast, oatmeal, muffins, or your favorite bread!