This is a great breakfast from one of my favorite Brooklyn brunch spots Cafe Rue Dix. It is called Kale Cupcakes. They are basically eggs baked inside of kale. The kale comes out nice and crispy like kale chips. The egg inside is runny and goes well with a piece of toast. It is a great meal to have for guests because it looks so gourmet.
The first time I had this was after a long run in Brooklyn. It was filling and came with a nice little side of greens. I have wanted to try making it at home ever since.
I was a little nervous to try this last weekend for the first time with guests. It was so easy and it came out great! Hopefully this time next year I’ll be making it with kale from my garden.
We put in a garden this weekend. Our first real garden! We did a raised bed garden. It was a lot of work, but worth it. This late in the season we couldn’t find any kale to put in it, but I’m sure we will next year.
Let me now how they turn out!
- 4 eggs
- 1 head of kale
- 4 teaspoons soy milk
- olive oil for the cupcake tin
- Pre-head the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse and dry several large leaves of kale.
- Grease the cupcake tin with olive oil.
- Place the kale in the cupcake tins to make a "bed" for the cupcake. I often used to pieces of kale cut in half for this. Sometimes you will find the perfect piece of kale and can use just one piece.
- Break eggs one at a time and place them gently in the kale.
- Top each egg with a little less than 1 teaspoon of soy milk to keep them moist.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 325 degrees fahrenheit.
- When they come out, place a knife in around the edges and then gently pop the kale cupcake out.
- Enjoy with a side of your favorite greens or toast!