I have been seeing pumpkin smoothies all over foodie websites lately and have been wanting to try my own. I first made this recipe last weekend and ate it several times for breakfast this past week. I finally have what I think is the perfect recipe!
I made my pumpkin smoothie with real pumpkin which made it taste super fresh. I bought one pumpkin and cooked it Sunday night. Then I let it cool and put it in the freezer. All week I had yummy pumpkin for my smoothies!
- 1 cup of frozen pumpkin chunks
- 1/4 cup of oats
- 1 large banana (frozen or room temperature depending on how cold you want your smoothie)
- 2 cups of soy milk
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/16 teaspoon ginger
- 3 dashes cloves
- 1/16 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1. The day before you want to make this smoothie, wash your sugar pumpkin and cut it into 4 parts.
- 2. Take out as many of the seeds as you can.
- 3. Bake the pumpkin at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 1 1/2 hours or until a fork can easily pierce the pumpkin.
- 4. When the pumpkin is cool, peel off the skin and chop the pumpkin into 1 inch cubes.
- 5. Freeze the cooled pumpkin cubes for at least 6 hours.
- 6. Place the oats in the blender or food processor and pulse until they are finely ground.
- 7. Add the pumpkin, soy milk, banana, maple syrup and spices to the blender or food processor. 8. Pulse until all ingredients are mixed.
- Serve cold!
- If you are running short on time, you could substitute all the spices for 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. I have also seen recipes use canned pumpkin instead of fresh, but I think the fresh pumpkin makes for a better flavor.