I am getting ready for Thanksgiving with lots of practice recipes! I really wanted to make a pumpkin pie last night but I wanted to do it without all the carbs in the crust. We were already having a filling dinner and I felt like it would be too much. After some googling, I got some good ideas and decided to make my own.
If you are going to make this pie, make sure you start about 2 1/2 to 3 hours before you want to eat it. The pie needs to sit for a while before it is ready to come out in true pie form. Otherwise you will have a delicious, but gooey, mess to eat.
This pie was really easy and it tasted just like regular pumpkin pie. I was very impressed with this recipe and will make it again. I also had a little extra batter and made that into mini pumpkin pies using muffin tins! They make for an exciting little snack at work!
Yield: 1 pie large pie or 1 medium pie and 4 mini muffin pies
Time: About 2 1/2 hours, mostly unattended
Inspired by: Fat Free Vegan
4 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I used soy)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 15 ounce can of pumpkin or 2 cups of cooked and mashed pumpkin
1 cup brown sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease and flour a 8 inch pie plate. If you have a deep plate you could put all of the batter in here, otherwise also grease and flour 4-5 muffin cups.
3. Whisk cornstarch and water together until the cornstarch is dissolved.
4. Add spices, baking powder, and soy milk and whisk again until spice are well-cominded.
5. Add almond meal, flour, pumpkin, and sugar and stir.
6. Add batter to the pie plate/muffin tins and place in the oven.
7. Take muffins out after 40-45 minutes and let cool for at least one hour before attempting to remove them.
8. Take pie out after 1 hour and let cools for at least one hour before attempting to serve.
9. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with your favorite vegan ice cream!